when the land was owned by two powerful Saxon thanes, Dunstan and Stainulf.
During the Norman conquest Pudsey’s farms and buildings were destroyed and tenants fled or were put to death by the Norman soldiers. by the time of the doomsday survey the land belonged to Ilbert de lacy, builder of Pontefract castle, and was recorded as waste land.
In 1481 the lord of the manor's daughter married Walter
Calverley and the two
manors were united. for the next 500 years Pudsey, while retaining its
identity as a separate township, developed as a sub manor of Calverley. the Milner family bought Calverley manor in 1663 and
subsequently sold most of their Pudsey
estate during the early 19th century ground
Butchers Arms - originally at the edge of the town centre it was first used as a beer house in 1870 and rebuilt in 1880 to comply with new legislation.
has long been associated with the production of woollen cloth and by 1912 the
town had 22 textile mills, although today most of the mills have gone. in
1899 Pudsey was given its own charter signed
Victoria and it is thought to be the
last one she issued before her death in 1901. by 1900 the town's first mayor
had been elected and a coat of arms designed.
1937 Pudsey's population was almost doubled when the
areas covered by Calverley & Farsley urban district councils were added to
the borough of Pudsey.
the 1974 local government reorganisation Pudsey itself was absorbed into Leeds metropolitan district.
Butchers arms - originally at the edge of the town centre it was first used as a beer house in 1870 and rebuilt in 1880 to comply with new legislation.
Crossed Shuttle - There has been a pub on this site since 1803 but it was rebuilt after world war ii. previously known as the black bull, & sports bar.
Pudsey Park was first opened to the public in October 1889. today you can relax with a leisurely stroll around the tree lined parkland with a visitor’s centre and band stand. the park is the second most visited park in Leeds
St Andrews Methodist Church - Built in 1901 to replace an earlier chapel and Sunday school in Hammerton Street
Worlds End - Has been open since 1983. It is however housed in some of the oldest buildings dating back to the 17th century.